You will definitely find yourself in different isles this time round -here are some tips to help you with your shopping expedition:
1. Make sure you eat before you head out so as to avoid any
“illegals” from “jumping” into your trolley. The buggers can be
2. If you can, plan your week’s meals before you go.
3. Full fat everything, low fat nothing. Nothing from a packet, box
4. Select above the ground veg only – green is best. Spinach,
broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, kale, baby marrow, bokchoi, green
beans, cauliflower, pumpkin, cucumber and of course most
important avocados! A few onions won’t hurt, they make
everything delicious but not too many.
5. Garlic, ginger, chilli and fresh herbs are great for flavouring
dishes. Spices – cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne pepper all have
awesome health benefits and whole spice grinders are great for
seasoning meat / poultry. Let us not forget an extra-large grinder
of pink salt. Also check out the Balsamic beads and Moringa Chilli from Big Breakfast.
6. Stock up on eggs…you are going to need a lot of them. Free range
7. Good fats – extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, ghee and
butter...lots of butter!
8. Meat – pork rashers, bacon (check the carbs), fish (pref. oily like
salmon, sardines, anchovies, mackerel, tuna and trout), fatty
mince, pork chops, steak, chicken, turkey and for the determined
chicken livers, ox liver, chicken hearts and kidneys. No Vienna’s,
Russians or processed cold meats and when buying sausages best
you get your butcher to make them up for you, minus the fillers.
9. If you are eating dairy choose cream over mi lk and high fat
cheeses such as Kiri, Boursin, Philadelphia or mascarpone.
However most cheeses are low in carbs with a good cheddar,
Parmesan and feta topping the list as great afternoon snacks or
10. Snacks – if you are just starting out, you may find the need to
have a late afternoon snack until you get your breakfast sorted.
Always keep it to a fat or protein. Top choices include pure
almond butter, cheese (as mentioned above), olives, boiled egg,
avocado, salami, fatty biltong (but don't overdo it) or raw
11. Drinks - Rooibos, chai rooibos, flavoured (unsweetened) teas,
sparkling water…and if you have to, a good 100% coffee (instant
or otherwise). Of course your tap is already stocked with the best
choice - but remember to only drink when thirsty.
12. Do not buy your spike day stuff until the day before spike day!
Having it lying around all week will just cause unnecessary
13. Apple cider vinegar – raw, unfiltered if you can. Great for aiding
digestion, reducing bloating and water retention.
14. And last but certainly not least ZestMoringa! Your
complete dense nutrient solution.
Share this post
- Tags: Shoppng lists